The Dwelling app has been ripe for enhancements for some time and this yr with iOS 16, Apple is delivering a significant replace for the HomeKit expertise.
iOS 16 is at the moment obtainable as a free public or paid developer beta. Be taught extra about installing iOS 16 in our full guide.
iOS 16 Dwelling app: What’s new and the way does it work?
Right here’s an in depth take a look at what’s new within the iOS 16 Dwelling app…
New UI and iconography
The default format of the iOS 16 Dwelling app now has:
- New prime class buttons
- HomeKit cameras are on the prime of the app, under are Scenes and Favorites
- Lastly, you’ll see your different gadgets organized by Room
- A lot of the HomeKit machine icons have been both completely up to date or given a slight refresh
For the brand new prime class buttons, new performance consists of displaying all HomeKit gadgets, Scenes, and knowledge which might be associated to it.
For instance, tapping the Local weather prime class exhibits my Ecobee smart thermostat, our HomeKit-enabled ceiling followers (Lutron Caseta), temperature and humidity, as nicely Scenes that embrace any of these “Local weather” gadgets.
Adjustments to how buttons work
One of many notable updates within the Dwelling app is a giant shift in how the buttons work to regulate HomeKit gadgets.
In iOS 15 and earlier, you’ll faucet a tool tile to show it on or off and long-press to get the extra detailed management UI with issues like colours, sliders, and so on. for fine-grain management.
Now within the iOS 16 Dwelling app buttons behave like this:
- Faucet on the far left (circle icon) to show gadgets on and off
- Faucet on the center or proper facet of a button to see the detailed management UI
- Lengthy-press to see edit/customizability choices and machine particulars
One other new characteristic is the choice to resize machine buttons, it’s a bit hidden however right here’s the way it works:
In iOS 15, the choice to entry the Dwelling app’s settings was fairly buried. Now within the iOS 16 Dwelling app, Apple has moved general settings and different customization buttons to the highest.
The + icon within the prime proper nook consists of the choice so as to add an Accent, Scene, Automation, Room, Folks, or a New Dwelling.
A very nice enchancment with the iOS 16 Dwelling app is the power to reorder sections. As proven within the picture above, “Reorder Sections” permits you to customise the general group. And selecting “Edit Dwelling View” permits you to reorder gadgets in a given class (beforehand obtainable in iOS 15).
New iOS 16 Dwelling app wallpapers
One other good replace is completely new wallpapers. The one proven off within the screenshots above is one in every of them with 10 complete stunning gradient decisions – in fact, you possibly can nonetheless use a customized picture too. The entire built-in wallpapers look like new.
- Faucet the three-dot circle within the prime left nook of the Dwelling app
- Select Dwelling Settings
- Swipe to the backside
- Faucet Select from Present underneath Dwelling Wallpaper, then the built-in choices are on the prime
iOS 16 Dwelling app tidbits
Extra particulars embrace:
- Automation tab and expertise are principally the identical
- Rooms are actually discovered underneath the three-dot icon within the prime proper nook
- The Uncover tab stays on the backside of the Dwelling app to get new concepts
- iPads will work as downgraded Dwelling hubs
- Matter integration coming later this yr
What are you most enthusiastic about with the brand new iOS 16 Dwelling app? Share your ideas down within the feedback!
Learn extra 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We use revenue incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.